A permanent resident (called lawful permanent resident or LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence. You can learn more about Returning Resident Visas on usvisas.state.gov.
How to File an Application for Returning Resident Status Determination:
Email colomboiIVstate.gov to schedule an appointment.
Bring the following documents and be present only 15 minutes before your interview time
- A completed Application to Determine Returning Resident Status, Form DS-117
- Fee – $180/- or Sri Lankan Rs. 63,000/- . Please bring either U.S. dollars or Sri Lankan rupees, please bring change and some extra notes, our cashiers do not accept mutilated or damaged notes.
- Passport Valid for six months or more from date of travel to the U.S.
- Two 2” x 2” front view, white background and color photograph without covering any part of the face
- Present evidence to support:
- Proof of lawful permanent residence — I-551, Reentry permit
- Proof of ties to the U.S. and intention to return Examples: Tax returns, and evidence of economic, family and social ties to the U.S.
- Proof that your stay was extended due to circumstances beyond your control,
Examples: medical incapacitation, employment with a U.S. company, accompanying a U.S. spouse
At the end of your returning resident visa interview, the consular officer will inform you whether your visa application is approved or denied.
Approval – When approved, you will be informed on how to continue with your immigrant visa interview.
Denial – If denied, your documents along with the passport will be returned immediately after the interview.