The U.S. Embassy in Colombo is pleased to announce the start of the 2018 Diversity Visa Lottery Program, also known as the “Green Card” Lottery. The program will be open for online registration from October 4, 2016 to November 7, 2016. The Diversity Visa Lottery allows randomly selected applicants the opportunity to interview for an immigrant visa and become legal permanent residents of the United States. The program is the “2018” lottery because applicants register in 2016; interview in 2017; and—if selected and approved—receive Green Cards in 2018.
A few items to keep in mind:
- The lottery application entry period is open from October 4, 2016 to November 7, 2016;
- The lottery is open to those born in qualifying countries – both Sri Lanka and Maldives qualify;
- Applicants may only apply once; multiple entries will result in disqualification;
- Applicants must meet all qualifications for the Diversity Visa Lottery;
- Applicants should keep the application confirmation number received after applying;
- It is FREE to register for the Diversity Visa Lottery. Beware of scams, of persons or companies making claims of affiliation with the U.S. Government, and of those who promise improved odds of selection. No third party assistance is needed to complete and submit an application.
Please go to https://lk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/diversity-visa/ to find out more about the program, including qualification requirements and detailed instructions on how to apply in Sinhala, Tamil, and English. The only way to apply is online at www.dvlottery.state.gov.
Notifications and next steps
Beginning in early May 2017, applicants may go online to the Entrant Status Check page on www.dvlottery.state.gov to see if they have been selected for the Diversity Visa program. Those selected will be asked to submit additional information and will be notified when they are selected for an interview. The in-person interview will be with a U.S. Consular Officer, who will decide if the applicant is eligible to receive the visa – documents required will include medical and police clearance and payment of visa fees at the Embassy.