Replacement for Lost/Stolen Passports

If a U.S. Passport is lost or stolen, please report this incident to the nearest Police Station and obtain an extract of your statement. You will need to schedule an appointment for a replacement. The following documents are required by the Consular Section to accept your application for a new U.S. Passport:

  1. The extract of the Police Report
  2. Completed DS-11 (Passport Application) (do NOT sign)
  3. Completed DS-64 (Statement regarding lost/stolen passports)
  4. Proof of Citizenship (certified copy of birth certificate, certified copy of lost/stolen passport)
  5. A Photograph meeting the requirements.
  6. Fees must be paid in cash. Please bring exact change.
  7. If the lost/stolen passport is for a minor child under age 16, the child must prove his/her identity. If the child is easily identifiable by the consular officer by looking at the previous passport, no additional proof may be necessary. However, a child’s appearance may change significantly over time, so the consular officer may ask for additional proof of identity. Please bring as much proof as possible. Examples of items that can be used to establish a child’s identity are:
    – A passport issued by another country.
    – School ID card with photo.
    – Growing age photos (i.e., a series of family photographs from various ages since the child’s last passport was issued–for example, if the child is now five years old and the passport was issued shortly after his/her birth, bring family photos showing the child at ages 1, 2, 3 and 4).
  8. Both parents/guardian(s) must accompany children below the age of sixteen and need to submit one of the following to establish parental relationship/guardianship:
  • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (With Parents’ Names); or
  • Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (With Parents’ Names and Translation,
    if necessary); or
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form Fs-240) (With Parents’ Names); or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form Ds-1350) (With Parents’ Names); or
  • Adoption Decree (With Adopting Parents’ Names); or
  • Court Order establishing custody; or
  • Court Order establishing guardianship.
    If The Parent(S)’/Guardian’s Name(S) is/are other than that on these documents, evidence of legal name change is required.

Each Parent or Guardian must submit one of the following:

  • Valid Driver’s License; or
  • Valid Official U.S. Military ID; or
  • Valid U.S. Government ID; or
  • Valid U.S. Or Foreign Passport with Recognizable Photo; or
  • Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate from USCIS with Recognizable Photo; or
  • Alien Resident Card from USCIS.
    One parent may sign the application if:
  • The other parent is not in Sri Lanka. In such a situation the absent parent must complete a “Statement of Consent: Issuing a Passport to a Minor under Age 16 (DS-3053)(PDF 41.2 KB)”. The DS-3053 must be notarized by a Notary Public (if absent Parent is in the U.S.) or by a Consular Officer of the U.S. (if in a third country);
  • One parent is deceased. In such instances the surviving parent has to present the valid death certificate of the non-applying parent; or
  • The applying parent has sole legal/physical custody of the Child concerned, which can be proved by presenting a Court Order.
  • The Applying parent cannot obtain the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian or sole custody cannot be obtained in a timely manner. In such situations the applying parent must complete a “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances (DS-5525)(PDF 43 KB)”. The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent’s or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent. You may also be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document your claim of exigent or special circumstances.