The following are required to obtain your first US Passport:
2. Proof of Citizenship (Consular Report of Birth Abroad/ Certificate of Citizenship/ Naturalization Certificate)
3. A Photograph meeting the requirements
FEES ARE PAYABLE IN CASH ONLY. Please bring exact change.
5. Both parents/guardian(s) must accompany children below the age of sixteen and need to submit one of the following to establish parental relationship/guardianship:
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (With Parents’ Names); or
- Certified Foreign Birth Certificate (With Parents’ Names and Translation): or
- Report of Birth Abroad (Form Fs-240) (With Parents’ Names); or
- Certification of Birth Abroad (Form Ds-1350) (With Parents’ Names); or
- Adoption Decree (With Adopting Parents’ Names); or
- Court Order establishing Custody; or
- Court Order establishing guardianship.
One parent may sign the application if:
- The other parent is not in Sri Lanka. In such a situation the absent parent must complete a “Statement of Consent: Issuing a Passport to a Minor under Age 16 (DS-3053)(PDF 41.2 KB)”. The DS-3053 must be notarized by a Notary Public (if absent Parent is in the U.S.) or by a Consular Officer of the U.S. (if in a third country);
- One parent is deceased. In such instances the surviving parent has to present the valid death certificate of the non-applying parent; or
- The applying parent has sole legal/physical custody of the Child concerned which can be proved by presenting a Court Order.
- The Applying parent cannot obtain the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian or sole custody cannot be obtained in a timely manner. In such situations the applying parent must complete a “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances (DS-5525)”. The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent’s or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent. You may also be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document your claim of exigent or special circumstances.
PLEASE DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION. IT HAS TO BE SIGNED IN THE PRESENCE OF A CONSULAR OFFICER OF THE UNITED STATES.