Notarial Services

Notarial services are available by appointment on Mondays and Wednesdays between 1:00pm and 2:30pm. Signatories must present a valid passport or other valid official photo identification document (which contains the bearer’s signature) and must also provide any additional witnesses if required by the document being notarized.

Notarial services are provided for a fee which must be paid in cash. (Please check how many notary signatures and seals are required for your document in order to determine the total fees.)

More information on notarial services is available on the State Department website.

Authentication of Documents

An authentication is a certification of the genuineness of the signature and seal or the position of a foreign official who has previously executed, issued, or certified a document so that a document executed or issued in one jurisdiction may be recognized in another jurisdiction.  The U.S. Embassy in Colombo can authenticate the seal and signatures of Sri Lankan Foreign Ministry officials.

Please view the website of the Sri Lanka Ministry of Foreign Affairs for information related to authenticating Sri Lankan documents (external link)

Authentication services are available by appointment only on Mondays and Wednesdays between 1:00pm and 2:30pm and are provided for a fee which must be paid in cash. (Please check how many authentication seals are required for your document in order to determine the total fees.)

Academic Credentials

Foreign Academic Credentials for Use in the United States: U.S. Consular Officers cannot authenticate or provide certified true copies of foreign academic credentials, transcripts, or degrees for use in the United States.

The U.S. Departments of State and Education determined in 1983 that there is no statutory requirement for U.S. consuls to authenticate foreign academic credentials. The U.S. Department of Education and the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers agree that authentication in no way alleviates the problem of fraud as the information contained in the document is not confirmed, only the seal and signature are authenticated.

U.S. Credentials for Use Abroad:  Some foreign countries continue to require authentication of academic credentials.  See Authentication of American Academic Credentials for Use Abroad on the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet page for guidance about how to obtain such records.

U.S. Military Schools:  Copies of school records can be obtained from the National Military Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri.