Following the bombings on Sunday, April 21, Sri Lankan authorities continue to pursue leads related to the attacks. Be prepared for possible checkpoints, road closures, and ongoing searches of people, vehicles, and other items of interest.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Sri Lanka.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. Embassy – Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 11 249-8500 Phone
+94 077-725-6307 Phone (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444