Location: Announced curfews include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
· Kandy Administrative District
Event: The Sri Lankan government declared an island-wide State of Emergency and curfews have been imposed in some regions due to communal unrest. Local authorities are authorized to declare local curfews. Further incidents are possible over the next few days.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of unrest.
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Monitor local media for updates
· Keep a low profile.
· U.S. Embassy – Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 11 249-8500 Phone
+94 077-725-6307 Phone (after hours)
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Sri Lanka Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates