May 16, 2019
Location: Nationwide, Sri Lanka.
Event: The Sri Lankan government has declared local and island-wide curfews recently due to communal unrest in the northwest region of the country. Additional curfews and checkpoints are possible with little notice over the coming holiday weekend.
The U.S. Embassy reminds American citizens of the current Level 3 Travel Advisory (Reconsider Travel). Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets, shopping malls, government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, hospitals, and other public areas.
Actions to Take:
– Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
– Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
– Follow the instructions of local authorities.
– Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
– Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
– Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
– U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. Embassy – Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 11 249-8500 Phone
+94 077-725-6307 Phone (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444