Location: Sri Lanka
Event: COVID-19 in Sri Lanka. These updates are being sent daily for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. New information is listed in the top bullets.
- International commercial flight options currently exist in Sri Lanka. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Sri Lanka at this time.
- The Sri Lanka Ministry of Health confirmed 151 (+3 increase) cases of COVID-19 in Sri Lanka .
- Qatar Airways is providing limited commercial flights departing Sri Lanka.
On March 19, 2020, the Department of State issued a global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do Not Travel) advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.
Sri Lankan Visas
The Sri Lankan Department of Immigration has extended the validity period of all types of visas issued to all foreigners currently in Sri Lanka up to May 12, 2020.
Testing COVID-19 positive
If an American Citizen is determined to have COVID-19, he or she is likely to be placed in mandatory quarantine in a local government hospital, consistent with Sri Lankan protocols. The Embassy is severely limited in its ability to visit individuals under quarantine and may be unable, as a practical matter, to secure the release of U.S. citizens until their complete recovery.
Visit the Sri Lankan Ministry of Health Epidemiology Unit COVID-19 website http://www.epid.gov.lk/web/index.php?lang=en for updated health information.
The Sri Lankan government declared an island-wide curfew as of 2 p.m. on March 26, 2020. Changes to the curfew are being announced on short notice. Travel to the airport for ticketed passengers will be permitted. However, travelers will need to use alternate routes due to the closure of expressways. Travelers should be prepared to show their passports and airline tickets at checkpoints. Taxi drivers will be allowed to return from the airport if they have a copy of their passenger’s ticket. Visit the local government COVID-19 website https://srilanka.travel/covid19/ for updated information.
Flights & Bandaranaike International Airport
The number of commercial flights departing Sri Lanka has significantly diminished. Flight schedules and availability change frequently. In Sri Lanka, all incoming passenger arrivals have been suspended indefinitely. Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
The government of Sri Lanka has established hotlines for tourists who are facing problems scheduling transportation to the airport for departure:
+94 (011) 244-4480
+94 (011) 244-4481
+94 (011) 597-8730
+94 (011) 597-8734
+94 (011) 597-8720
The U.S. Embassy in Colombo has suspended routine visa services. For American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website https://lk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/ for additional information.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 lk.usembassy.gov/COVID-19-information/ )for information on conditions in Sri Lanka.
- U.S. Embassy – Colombo Sri Lanka
+94 11-249-8500 phone
+94 77-725-6307 phone (after hours emergencies)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Sri Lanka Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter