Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Several groups have released plans for different large-scale marches throughout Colombo today starting at 9:00 A.M. Reports indicate that the largest march will occur at 3:00 P.M. today, Monday, May 1, when the Janatha Vimukthi Peramunaation (JVP) plans to hold a Labor Day march in Colombo beginning at BRC Ground and ending near Victoria Park. Approximately 4,000-5,000 people are expected to participate in that march.
- Even peaceful demonstrations can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Please avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations, particularly those that do not have security screenings and access controls in place. Be cautious when traveling near rallies or demonstrations.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of rallies or demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy – Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 11-202-8500 Phone
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For Sri Lanka: