Location: Kannaggara Mawatha – Lipton Circus – Ward Place, Colombo 07.
Event: The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens of an ongoing demonstration carried out by approximately 500 students from the Inter-University Students Federation (IUSF) in Colombo. Students are expected to gather at Nelum Pokuna Auditorium, Colombo 7, and march to the University Grants Commission (UGC) on Ward Place. The most likely route to be via Kannaggara Mawatha – Lipton Circus – Ward Place – UGC.
The U.S. Embassy reminds Americans to avoid large gatherings of people and to be cautious when traveling near rallies or demonstrations. Even peaceful protests can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
– Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
– Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
– Follow the instructions of local authorities.
– Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
– Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
– Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
– U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. Embassy – Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 11 249-8500 Phone
+94 077-725-6307 Phone (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444