Location: Galle Road, Colombo 03.
Event: The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens of a demonstration; approximately 1000-1500 students from the Inter-University Students Federation (IUSF) are scheduled to have a demonstration in Colombo today. Protesters are expected to travel along Duplication Road and may travel as far north as Temple Trees. The current route is unknown but may pass the U.S. Embassy at approximately 3:30 p.m. Prior student demonstrations in this area have resulted in the deployment of water cannons and tear gas, and Sri Lanka Police are prepared for the demonstration with riot gear. Traffic delays from this protest are expected.
The U.S. Embassy reminds Americans to avoid large gatherings of people and to be cautious when traveling near rallies or demonstrations. Even peaceful protests can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
– Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
– Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
– Follow the instructions of local authorities.
– Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
– Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
– Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
– U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. Embassy – Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 11 249-8500 Phone
+94 077-725-6307 Phone (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444