Date: May 5 and 6, 2022
Location: Multiple Locations, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Events: The U.S. Embassy is aware of the following demonstrations:
- May 5: A group of approximately 3,000 is planning to hold a demonstration the afternoon starting in front of Sir Jayewardenepura University (to the east of Mt. Lavinia) and marching to Parliament junction (near Water’s Edge).
- May 5: A group of approximately 1,000 is planning to assemble at 12:30 p.m. at Victoria Park in Colombo and march to Parliament junction (near Water’s Edge). Road closures and congested traffic is expected.
- May 6: A group of approximately 1,000 will gather at 11:00 a.m. in front of the Health Ministry.
- May 6: Groups are expected to gather in capital cities across the country. Organizers are calling for people to raise black flags, dress in black, close shops, stop work, and engage in demonstrations throughout the country.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. Government personnel have been advised to avoid the protests.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of rallies or demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy – Colombo, Sri Lanka
+94 77-725-8500 Phone
+94 77-725-6307 Phone (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For Sri Lanka:
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates